Friday, August 24, 2007

Attitude Change - Anti Smoking

What factors determine the success of attitude change programs? The theoretical bases and research evidence about key elements underlying attitude change programs on anti smoking will be the topic for my essay. Here are some thoughts on the topic so far.

According to the Cancer Institute of NSW the anti-tobacco campaigns are aimed at reinforcing quitting behaviours amongst smokers. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on how effective you think these campaigns and other initiatives have been on changing the community's attitude to smoking. The 'You Tube' advertisement featured above was aired on national TV from April 2007 through to June 2007. The focus was on the reality that you can't choose which smoking-caused disease you will actually get if you continue smoking (Cancer Institute NSW). The message is reflective, encouraging the individual to look at their own smoking behaviour challenging their beliefs and attitudes regarding likely health consequences. It is clever and injects humour which hopefully affords the individual the opportunity to look at themself. As of 2 July 2007, government legislation prohibits smoking inside licensed areas. I for one am an advocate for this change, I've noticed a huge difference when you go out these days and you don't inhale second hand smoke nor do you come home with your clothes smelling like a chimney. It is indeed a welcomed change, what are your thoughts on this topic?

5 comments:

James Neill said...

Hopefully there was a tiered strategy? (i.e., they didn't just rely on this single style of ad campaign.). Personally I'd probably find it more persuasive if followed up with other information about actual increase in statistical risk for smoking various amounts, etc. OK, so I teach stats, so what do you think - would some facts and figures along with the fear-based marketing also help to persuade you?

beck1411 said...

I like you Shell enjoy the change that the new laws bring. I remember when I went to America this year just after the implementation of no smoking inside had began and it was such an awful reminder! Even in restaurants people smoking, it wasn't pleasing at all.
I think that the campaigns that the government put forward are effective and to me scary. But I'm not a smoker. I have asked friends and family who are smokers what they think when they see the ads and how they feel about the changes (as well as the graphic images now on packs) and whilst they tell me that they too find them horrible that it doesnt necessarily impact their behaviour. I think that behaviours such as smoking need a far more individual structured behaviour modification program that works on their own antecedents and consequences (agghh learning lab still in my head). Social outings however often are encouragers for people to engage in the behaviour and perhaps the no smoking indoors will at least reduce some of these behaviours particular for 'social' smokers.
Good luck with your blog
Beck =)

Rebekah said...

Hi Michelle,

I really like this 'quit' campaign. You are right- I think the injection of humor is refreshing. Yet, I also think scare tactics (fear appeals) play a part also- but more subtley than the usual quit campaigns (which perhaps is saying something about a change in direction of campaign strategy).

I have also spotted a few persuasion techniques- it appears to be a peripheral route to persuasion- relying on humor, reactions, and the source.

I have also come across the pique technique 'influence technique where one captures attention by making a novel request'.... this certainly captures attention as it is different.

Anyhoo.... just thought id give you my two cents. Feel free to have a wander around my blog.
www.powellpsychology.blogspot.com

Beck xxxx

Fiona said...

Hey Michelle!

I'm doing anti-smoking also as my example for attitude change too. But I'm using last years campaign that included the two types of approaches "Quitting is hard, not quitting is harder" and "Ready to quit? Give it a try!".

It's interesting all of the different approaches that anti-smoking groups have taken to encourage people to quit smoking. It's like they're trying all the tricks in the book! Fear appeals, positive framing, the ELM Model of persuasion as Beck pointed out etc. And there are still astounding statistics of how many people still smoke, like 17% of over 14 year olds some estimates say.

Hope your blogs going well!!

Anonymous said...

You have suddenly done a great thing. I found your blog really interesting .This is one of the buzzing questions that “How to motivate yourself to quite smoking?” and you have given a good effort to give the ans: .I also suffered a lot for my smoking habit. I use chantix to get rid of my habit, and it’s really works a lot. Those who are want to quite smoking they can use it its good.